Rosie recently visited the surgery due to a fast growing lump on her toe. After initial treatment for the lump no improvement was seen and the decision was made to amputate the toe and send the lump off for testing. Rosie has had a long recovery which has needed substational care with dressing changes every few days on her foot due to excellent care from her owners, Rosie is nearly back to her normal self and is managing fine on her 3 toes. Dogs are digitigrade animals, meani
Its cold outside! Winter pet care tips dogs and cats are walking through the substances left by gritters trying to clear roads and car drivers defrosting their windscreens and then licking them off their paws.Consuming rock salt can cause dehydration, liver failure and pancreatitis, while antifreeze contains the chemical ethylene glycol, which can be lethal when ingested The symptoms of ingesting anti-freeze include vomiting, seizures, appearing sleepy and a heightened breath
We have had a confirmed case of Parvovirus. The pet is recovering well at home. Parvo is more commonly associated with puppies, but in this case it was a older dog. Parvovirus is a highly infectious disease that can be fatal. Many dogs who are diagnosed with parvo will die. The virus attacks cells in a dog’s intestines and stops them from being able to absorb vital nutrients. This means that a dog or puppy will become very weak and dehydrated. It is also known as canine parv
On Saturday we met Clover for the first time. Clovers owners brought her to see us as she had what looked like a small would on the inside of her leg, Clover was admitted so we could examine the wound more thoroughly. Once Clover was under anaesthetic we could see a large wound that would need stitching, the cut was very deep and had cut through the medial thigh muscle and there was lots of hair tracking into the deep fascia so a drain was placed to drain infection from the s
Cooper recently visited us as he had sliced his tongue whilst playing with another dog. Cooper had to have a general anaesthetic and quite a few sutures placed in his tongue. Did you know a dogs is like a It's a radiator, a water-lapper, a healer of wounds, a food conveyor, a register of tastes, a texture sensor, and a wet equivalent of a dog's handshake. A dog's tongue has more responsibilities than any other part of the dog anatomy -- excluding the brain. And oddly enough,
Meet daisy the beautiful Boston terrier. We have seen Daisy this week with a painful eye which had high ocular pressure due to glaucoma as it could not be medically managed the decision was made to remove the eye. Daisy has been very brave and is recovering at home with lots of TLC.
Glaucoma is a condition in which pressure is placed on the eye, causing inadequate fluid drainage in the eye. If the condition becomes chronic or persists without treatment, it will eventually c
Bernie the Bernese Mountain dog visited us with a Hot spot on his leg. A hot spot is officially known as Moist Dermatitis, hot spots are found anywhere on the body and can increase in size very quickly. Your dog will experience them as itchy and sometimes painful patches and will often try to soothe hot spots with scratching, licking or biting. Treatment for a hot spot is to : Clip and clean – clipping the fur around your dog’s hot spot will allow air to reach it and speed up
As we head into Autumn and the nights draw darker we need to be conscious of the dangers around for our pets. * Conkers - While serious cases of poisoning are rare, ingestion can cause marked gastro-intestinal signs such as drooling, retching, vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pain. The conker’s case and conkers themselves can also cause intestinal blockages.
*Oaks and acorns - The toxic ingredient is thought to be tannic acid, which can cause damage to the liver and kidneys
Paddy a whippet visited the Tyldesley surgery with a lump on his side. After drawing some cells out of the lump with a needle a decision was made to take a biopsy of the lump and send it off for further testing. Paddy was booked in a few days later to have the lump biopsied and sent to a canine pathologist to have a more detailed evaluation of the lump carried out. The results of the lump showed it was spindle cell sarcoma, so Paddy would need extensive surgery to remove t
Bonny visited the surgery and after consultation with Steven she was found to have a Grade 3 left sided heart murmur, she was admitted for a heart scan with Steven. The scan showed Bonny had mild cardiomegaly, mitral valve regurgitation and mild pulmonary valve regurgitation and Mitral valve disease stage B2. Bonny has been started on medication for her heart and we hope shes feeling much better. Having the most adavanced and modern equipment allows us over the best veterina
Naughty Frankie the Irish terrier managed to steal 180g of Chocolate. Chocolate poisoning affects the heart, central nervous system and kidneys. Symptoms of dogs eating chocolate usually occur between four and 24 hours after your dog has eaten chocolate. The effect and signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs depends on the amount eaten and the size of the breed. Freddie was given a drug to induce vomiting emptying his stomach contents, he was then fed activated charcoal. Activat
Today is International Cat Day or World cat day, International Cat Day is a day to raise awareness for cats and learn about ways to help and protect them. #internationalcatday #worldcatday #worldcatday2020 #vetsnearme #localvet #arevetsopen #myvet #catbet #cat #cats #adlingtonvet #adlingtonvets #chorley #vetsinchorley #chorleyvets #affordablevets #rivingtonvet #horwichvets #vetsinhorwich #advancedvets #orthopaedicvet #TPLO #catsurgery #happycat #angrycat #catlove #feline
Fudge visited the surgery due to a few collapsing episode and becoming lethargic over the course of the day. During the consultation the owner mentioned that fudge could of ingested some plants in the garden, after further investigation it was determined that Fudge had eaten some Canadian Poppies. Canadian poppies or any poppies are often not found on the poisons list for cats. All parts of poppies can be harmful to cats if ingested. The amount of alkaloids or opioids can var
Otto got a little more adventure than he expected on his walk. Whilst on his daily walk Otto likes to have a leisurely swim in the local pond/lake, but on this occasion when he surfaced he had a fish hook stuck in his mouth. Due to the barbs on fish hooks, they can be difficult to remove without sedation, minor surgery, and pain medication.
Considerable damage can also be caused if someone pulls on a fishing line after the hook has already become embedded in the animal, so we
Today we saw Lexi who visited us for a Laparoscopic Spay. There are two types of laparoscopic spays a Ovariectomy where only the ovaries are removed or a ovariohysterectomy where the ovaries and womb are removed. By removing the womb, any chance of womb cancer is eliminated. The most important piece of equipment in a laparoscopic spay is the LigaSure machine. The LigaSure is a vessel sealing device. With this device, you simply clamp it on the vessel, squeeze a button, wait a
Yesterday our Standish branch had a very unusual case, Indi decided to get some exercise on the trampoline. Indi slipped and it resulted in a spring becoming lodged in her hock. Indi was very lucky as the spring missed all vital tendons and she is now back at home recovering. Although lots of dogs love trampolines we do not recommend them for our pets #trampoline #bounce #adlingtonvets #chorleyvets #affordablevets #orthopaedicvets #dental #vet #kittens #cats #dogs#puppies #li
This week we saw Hugo who came to us for a castrate, whilst being examined we noticed a hernia and were able to carry out the hernia repair surgery at the time for castration.
Canine hernias are relatively common. Similar to humans, a hernia is a condition where the contents of a dog’s abdomen pushes through a tear or hole in the muscle wall or fatty tissue. Over 90 percent of canine hernia cases are due to genetics. Hernias can also develop from trauma or injury. Dogs with h
Meet Bailey who visited us with a sore leg he had damage to her cruciate and had a surgical procedure called a TPLO One of the most common injuries to the knee of dogs is tearing of the cranial cruciate ligament (CCL). This ligament is similar to the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in humans. There are actually two cruciate ligaments inside the knee: the cranial cruciate ligament and caudal cruciate ligament. They are called cruciate because they cross over each other insid
Luna presented at the practice with a corneal ulcer in her eye caused by extra eyelashes rubbing on the eye surface. Luna was diagnosed with Distichiasis this is where an extra row of hairs which can be long and stiff grow on the eyelid and irritate the eye, resulting in a corneal ulcer. The severity of the problem depends on how stiff the hairs are, how long they are, where they’re located, and how many extra hairs there are. Luna had the eye lashes removed and diathermy was
The object was identified with an X-ray in the small intestine causing a partial obstruction, Zoe was taken to theater where it was surgically removed.
Foreign objects swallowed by animals can cause a partial or complete intestinal obstruction and are one of the most common indications for intestinal surgery.
If a foreign body becomes lodged over a period of time then there may be serious complications. Clinical signs of obstruction include dehydration, vomiting, anorexia, we